
Well, since I have a bunch of people I've never met heading over here, I thought I'd use this as an opportunity to ask y'all about what I should be doing with this blog.
And let me also say I'm sorry for making you all want to eat cheese in my last post. Maybe I should get a cheesy nickname. I'm open to suggestions. And years from now, if I ever write that great American sitcom, you can all edit my Wikipedia page to say how "Gouda Girl" got her nickname. But please don't nickname me Gouda Girl.
It started out as a way for me to review the movies I watch constantly as a way of not dealing with my life. But I feel that there's enough pseudo-critics on the Web pulling apart every aspect of movies that were made decades ago. And it just isn't me. I feel the same way about politics; I have definite opinions but there are many people who can express what I'm feeling more passionately and succinctly than I can.
I feel I'm at my best when I'm just sort of spurting out whatever's on my mind, whether it be about Deborah Kerr's absurdly good posture or how freaking cute my cat is or how much it bugs me that they don't make Flintstone's vitamins in adult doses. . . but I'm not sure if anyone wants to read that. And I'm not sure if that matters to me. So here's my questions for all you seasoned bloggers:
1) What makes a blog most interesting? What makes you want to read it? I know that "gimmicky" blogs tend to get read more often. Do I gotta get a gimmick if I wanna get ahead, in the words of Sondheim? One thing I was toying around with was a poll where people would vote (via multiple choice) on what movie I watch next. And if you read more of my previous posts, you'll see that I'm doing this crazy thing where I try to see 7 movies for each famous actor, director, etc.
2) I'd like to add a few bells and whistles to the blog-some blogrolls maybe, and a list going along the side of every movie I've seen this year that I hadn't seen before. (I'm up to 85.) Any recommendations to sites that will show me, who is not too adept at this sort of thing, how to do that?
3) Is that not the cutest cat you've ever freaking seen? Or the freakiest cat?
11 comments:
I say you go with what feels right, and with what's true. it works for me, so far anway. *coy smile*
Allow me to respond directly to your words. Here goes...
"I feel I'm at my best when I'm just sort of spurting out whatever's on my mind..."
CARMI'S THOUGHTS: Good writing comes from within. If it jazzes you, then it's worth writing about. And when you're jazzed about something, it comes through in your writing, and that makes other folks want to read you.
"...but I'm not sure if anyone wants to read that."
CARMI'S THOUGHTS: They do. I publish stuff like this on my blog, AND in a newspaper. I get lots of feedback from both audiences.
"...And I'm not sure if that matters to me."
CARMI'S THOUGHTS: The only way to know is to try different styles and topics. Mix and match...your writing will constantly evolve anyway. Go with what feels right.
I'm with Carmi for sure. My blog is kind of confused right now - laundry, my rants, my days teaching in London, i can;t really get a grasp on what it's all about = but you know what? That's me right now, so I guess that's it really.
Good luck figuring it out!
Here from Michelle's waaaay too early in the morning/late at night!
My advice is the same as queen withouta country - spread out and write about all kinds of stuff. I don't care for blogs that only do one thing (such as rant) or the ones that do only memes or themes on certain days. Some of that is okay, but it makes for a boring and predictable blog.
Michele sent me.
I agree with everyone else - you're doing fine. I like your style. My favorite blogs are glimpses of people's lives, written with humor and style. Write what makes you happy. And yes - its' (almost) the cutest cat ever (Mine's cuter, but tends to take a blurry picture)
Just getting the feel of the blog thing can take time. I have three and I'm still learning! On that note if you do want to do something specific why not start another blog, or another:)
I like frickr (photo upload and sharing site), they have some great widgets to add to the sidebar with your photos on it. Also Flickr has heaps of groovy groups to be a part of.
thanks for dropping by my blog, here's to your bad self;)
Just write what ever feels right. I talk about a variety of things...whatever I feel at the moment.
Enjoy yourself!
By the way...I love the cat picture. One of my favourites of our cat was one similar to this.
Have a great weekend.
Michele sent me!
Cute cat!!
I say just write whatever is in your mind at the time....and throw the movie stuff in there with it...it would be interesting to see just how many different movies you will see in a year!
I sent myself this time!
I forgot to say....Gouda Girl is just too cute to pass up as a nickname!....you better think of a new one quick, or in my mind that is who you will forever be!
Blogging is a very personal thing. I say stick with what makes YOU happy and an audience will come. It may take time, it may not.
I prefer blogs that cover a wide variety of topics as long as the 'voice' or personality comes through.
Whatever you do, don't change for your readers.
her via michele
Your insights, your tangents, all draw me to this site. Don't try too hard, just keep doing what you're doing. Forget the bells and whistles. I like the writing and the witticisms and the easy way they roll out of your head, down your arm, and through your fingers into cyberspace.
Post a Comment