Thursday, May 24, 2007

100 CCs of Corzine, STAT

I'm a little annoyed at Governor Jon Corzine's new commercials advocating seat belt use. Sure, it's beneficial to society if we're not wasting resources and money associated with not wearing a belt (anbulance and other health services, etc.), but, unless you're a minor, I think it's a personal decision. More importantly, though, if you don't wear a seatbelt, I'm not going to die. If you drive 90 miles an hour, as Corzine's driver was driving, I might die.
They chose the wrong PSA to film.

3 comments:

carmilevy said...

If you're more than willing to cover the bills for face planting into the dashboard, then you should be free to decide whether or not you want to buckle up.

Sure, I won't die if one of my elected officials chooses not to wear a seatbelt. But I resent my tax dollars paying for medical care that ends up being much more invasive - and expensive - because of his choice.

Of course, the same logic can be applied to motorcycle helmets, bicycle helmets....

Carli N. Wendell said...

I agree with Carmi to an extent, although Corzine DID pay for his own medical bills.
The point of his PSA, though, was that seat belts save lives. I'd prefer it if there was ALSO a psa that stated, "A seat belt can save your life, but driving at a safe speed and obeying traffic laws can save other peoples' lives, too."

Suzy Q said...

Have to disagree with you this time Ol' Lady of Dullsville. That is a very powerful ad, very well done, and with a terrific message. Yep. It's your choice. But it doesn't hurt to show people what that choice can get you.