Friday, June 08, 2007

. . . In Which A Useless Skill Becomes Useful

So I needed to look up the movie High Sierra on IMDB.com. . . but every time I entered it as a search term, I'd get an error message. What to do? Play Six Degrees of Lindsay Lohan!

IMDB contains hyperlinks to actors' bios and movies in all of its news stories. I followed a hyperlink embedded in a lame Lindsay Lohan story to Georgia Rule, where I clicked on "Jane Fonda." I then followed this chain of links:

Jane Fonda to On Golden Pond
On Golden Pond to Henry Fonda
Henry Fonda to Mr. Roberts
Mr. Roberts to James Cagney
and then I knew success was ultimately mine!
James Cagney was in Angels With Dirty Faces with fellow Warner Bros. perennial Humphrey Bogart--who was in High Sierra!

High Sierra was a bit of a disappointment, but I still enjoyed it. . . not as much as I enjoyed They Drive By Night, the other movie Humphrey Bogart made with Ida Lupino (TCM's much-deserved star of the month). Not to give too much away, Lupino has a classic screen breakdown in which she becomes hysterically afraid of automatically opening doors.

5 comments:

The Turmanators said...

Clearly a movie buff, and an old movie buff at that! It's true, sometimes they don't "make 'em like they used to" although I confess I'm not a Borgart fan. Glad you found what you were looking for.

Michelle sent me; have a great weekend!

Paul Nichols said...

Howdy, from Michele's. I think I'm gonna go rent "Raising Arizona." Haven't ever seen it yet and I can't figure out why.

Anonymous said...

So come on admit it....you enjoyed High Sierra just a LITTLE more as a result of using your sleuthing skills to find it didn't you? You "hunted and gathered" it rather than just aquiring it!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Michele sent me.

I wonder what Mr. Bogart would think of Lindsay's antics?

Sadly, I have never seen High Sierra or They Drive By Night. But I have seen Lindsay Lohan's "Freaky Friday." Yikes. What does that say about me?htt

Christine said...

Hi there! Michele sent me!

Thank goodness for IMDB!! Gone are the days that I sit watching a movie wondering "Where in the world do I know that actor from?!?!" Oh that drives me crazy!

Thanks you for some good movie recommendations!