The vending machine at work is now serving up Devil Dogs.
And I'm looking at them, and I hear my mother's voice saying, "Devil Dogs. That's the last thing you need. Fine. You know what? Why don't you weigh 300 pounds? And you'll have to buy all your clothes out of catalogs. And I'm not giving you money for that.And I didn't want to tell you this to upset you, but [insert the name of anyone she knows who is overweight] is having a lot of health problems now, and much as you say you don't care, you don't want that."
But then, I thought, "Shut up, invisible Mom who is only in my head. Devil Dogs fill an emotional void, and are delicious."
And then I imagined Mom reading this, which she does, and sending me an email:
1. You should listen to that voice.
2. Stop making me out to be some sort of monster on your blog. And maybe if you spent a little less time blogging and a little more time outside, walking, maybe then you'd deserve some Devil Dogs.
3. [Insert some reference to an upcoming family event for which all details were determined without my input. Like, "By the way, your sister and I talked, and we decided we're going to do Chanukah at 9 in the morning the third Saturday of November. Do you want pot roast or corned beef?"]
4. How's the closet going? You know, if you spent half as much time working on that closet as you did complaining about me in your blog, you'd be done. And then, maybe you'd deserve some Devil Dogs.
But in all honesty, my mother wants the best for me, and truth be told, my knees hurt. . . so I should probably lay off the Devil Dogs for a while. And that's what I'm going to try to do. So even thought I'd like to fill my bowls this weekend (bowls she bought me, for the record) with delicious macaroni and cheese, I'm afraid it's going to be Cheerios and skim milk for the long haul.
In other news, thank you to everyone who offered suggestions for things starting with the letter "t" without asking questions. It was my father's 60th birthday last week, and I wanted to buy him 6 "t" things. I wound up getting him 6 tea bags. Get it? "Six tea" sounds like "sixty." I must have told 100 people that joke last week, and was met mostly with either groans or cries of, "But you got him something else, too, right?" (Yes, I got him a CD.) But since my father and I share a love of really corny, bad jokes, he appreciated the gift. And I think he might actually drink the tea.
You know what goes great with tea? Devil Dogs.
Saturday, July 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
I've actually never heard of Devil Dogs before - I had to google them! They certainly look yummy!! LOL I'm not sure where to go to get them round where I live but I will keep an eye out for the opportunity! Anything with a creamy filling is A=OK in my book. Michele sent me today to learn about Devil Dogs!
Yeah- Devil Dogs & the Drakes name don't make it too far below New Jersey- (I saw one store in Pennsylvania on my vacation this year)
They're in Massachusetts too & I'm well aware of them (As is my girth) But here in Virginia we have no Drakes Cakes at all- we have Hostess & Little Debbie both of which is easy for me to pass by.
I understand about the invisible mom- mine says (& said during my childhood- the same - & some even worse)things.
Michele sent me to reminisce about Devil Dogs with you today.
OOh just clicked on the Devil Dog link & found I could have them here pretty darn quick!
Thanks! (that doesn't come from my waistline though)
I have a sweet tooth too Carli and have weaned myself onto strawberries and low far hazelnut yoghourt or any berries for dessert and don't eat cake or biscuits which are just fat and sugar tarted up. Of course you know that and you know also that only you can know when to cut down on food. Don't try anything drastic - it doesn't work. Mum's are often right and usually want what's best for you. Good luck and take care!
Michele says hi!
I like the 6 tea bags!
Michele sent me to say I have never heard of them either. I live in Louisiana and we have Hostess & Lil Debbie. I think 6 tea bags is cute.
Now, I'm wanting some tea and cakes
Those Devil Dogs do look good, although I would think a "devil dog" would be a hot dog of some sort. Not that I'm complaining, it certainly looks good.
Michele sent me.
I had to Google to see what they were. Not bad looking; quite tasty!
Michele sent me.
I haven't heard the term "devil dogs" in 30 years...back when I used to eat them. They still make them? Funny too, I used the word "devil" in the first sentence of my post today. Michele is on vacation but her friends sent me over.
Don't even hesitate - eat the devil dogs! They are too delicious to pass up.
I really like your invisible mother! She's pretty funny stuff.
P.S. I hope the CD you bought your dad isn't Paul McCartney singing about "When I'm 64." I bought that for my third ex-husband, as well as a rocking chair when he turned 64. (I won't say how old I was, but since I'm not yet 60 and that was many years ago...)
Hey I learned some new emoticons from the New York TImes this weekend. Here's one that is somewhat related to this post:
//oo\\
My invisible mom tends to critique my eye-liner, political opinions and choice of friends (too heavy, too liberal and too indiscriminate, respectively)
Other than that, invisible mom is pretty supportive, usually.
Now invisible grandma tells me sex and drugs will ruin my life, I should not buy a van and live the life of a gypsy driving from town to town peddling arts and crafts, and short hair looks soooo much nicer than my current shaggy, long, unkempt lox.
Invisible grandma is really so much more restrictive.
But let's not even start about the invisible Pentacostal televangalist within.
Uh-oh. Invisible boss was just joined by visible boss, who is rapidly approaching my desk.
Yikes...
Real mom says you got it just right. I guess I no longer have to talk to you since you know the whole routine!
I'm so glad you and your father like to share corny jokes: it's a joyful way to look at the world, that so many people don't get:-)
Now I have to go figure out what devil dogs are!
Thanks for visiting me off guard!
N.
Devil dogs are good, but I know what you mean about filling an emotional void...I've been doing that for about 6 years now and have gained 50 lbs. Hang in there!
Hi, Michele sent me :-)
Your dad sounds like a very cool guy - as are you, for marking his big day with such empathy and creativity. Good on ya!
Michele's proud of you, too. I was just doing the Caption This entry for posting this coming Sunday. I think you'll be happy with it goes live.
Just sayin'...
Post a Comment