I'm not really happy with the state of the Democratic party right now; in fact, I'm not really sure I AM a Democrat anymore. I jokingly supported Dennis Kucinich because of his friendship with Shirley MacLaine, but the truth is, I cannot find a candidate, Democrat or otherwise, that I can really get behind. Like so many Americans, health care is a hot-button issue for me--and I don't think that socialized health care is a viable solution to the crisis. The idea of another conservative Republican in the White House does not make me happy. What I want, in the words of Bonnie Tyler, is a hero. I'm holding out for a hero. I'm holding out for someone whose goal is to lead the country, not simply be the leader of it. I have to believe there's someone out there who can protect us without hovering over us like helicopter parents. I have to believe there's someone who will "triage" the issues by order or urgency, focusing on keeping the country safe from terrorists and corporate misconduct and funding research for cures for diseases, not preventing two consenting adults in love from marrying. I want to make medical school an option again for the best and brightest, who have long abandoned 6-figure medical school debt and insurance company mayhem in exchange for the high life on Wall Street.
I'd like to bring the founding fathers back to life and ask them to interpret for us their original intentions. And I'd like to buy the world a Coke.
Thursday, January 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I greatly sympathize with how you feel. I haven't found a candidate I really resonate with, either. I can name some for whom I would not vote under any circumstances, but not one I am totally in favor of. Thanks for the Coke.
I'm not American, Im from way over the pond. But I have to say I think its all going to be a little bit interesting this election because who ever steps up has a lot of cleaning and caressing and preening to keep the american people happy and reverse the foreign image damage bush has done for you guys.
and on this note
"I'd like to bring the founding fathers back to life and ask them to interpret for us their original intentions."
Thats a really cool Idea Im thinking Thomas Jefferson would take one look at things how they stand and say
"did no one read what I wrote! send me back to my daughters"
Post a Comment