Friday, January 18, 2008

A Letter to AMC Theaters, Which I Actually Have to Print Out and SEND

To Whom it May Concern:

I am writing to complain about my movie-going experience tonight, January 18, 2008.
I purchased my ticket to the movie Cloverfield via Fandango, and the Fandango Web site produced a page with a ticket printed on it. I was told to print it out, and bring it to the Loews' 34th Street theater, and it would act as my ticket. Nowhere on the page did it say I had to bring my credit card--the page itself was supposed to be the ticket.

When I got to the theater, the ticket-taker was shouting out, "If you have a ticket printed from Fandango, you need to present your credit card." Not wanting to argue and possibly miss the beginning of the film, I gave her my credit card and she swiped it into a machine, presenting me with an actual ticket. If I had not brought my card, (as the ticket page said nothing to the effect that I had to), I might not have been able to see the movie, and my money would have been wasted.

After the movie, I inquired at customer service as to why I needed a credit card when the ticket printed out did not state that I had to bring it. She stated that it was an extra level of security. If that's so, it should be stated on the printout. She also said that the theater WAS properly equipped to process tickets printed out via Fandango's Web site.

Not satisfied with her answer, I inquired downstairs and was given two NEW excuses: The ticket taker said it took too much time to process printed-out tickets, and a very rude security woman named Ms. Burger told me that, "This theater does not take printed-out tickets. If you have a problem, take it up with Fandango."

I'm sorry, but this is NOT Fandango's problem. I use Fandango all the time, and this is the only theater I've had problems with. If a theater does not accept printed out tickets, Fandango's Web site directs the user to take their credit card to either a box office window or a credit card kiosk to get an actual ticket. If Loews' 34th street isn't willing to process printed out tickets, then Fandango should be alerted to stop producing them.

I'm doubly appalled, because I had a similar experience in December, 2006. I printed out my ticket at home, only to arrive at the theater and be told I still had to go to a kiosk and get a "real" ticket. It's amazing that in more than a year, you have yet to resolve this issue.

I'm also angry that you do not have a place for customer complaints on your Web site. Either you are too far behind the times to provide this level of service, or you just don't want to make it easy for customers to air grievances. Either way, this is a lousy way to treat moviegoers.

I know that one person doesn't make a difference, but from now on, I will make it a point to try to see movies in theaters not yet owned by your company. There are still quite a few of them in New York City, and they'll be more than happy to take my money.

Oh, and the popcorn was way too salty, too.

Sincerely,
Carli

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would hold more weight if you ended with "Oh, and there was a roach in my popcorn bag too."

In all seriousness this truly is a horrendous way to do business. When you're meal ticket is based squarely in the entertainment business you better have these kind of issues handled. Customers have choices and we red blooded Americans are known to punish companies that don't appreciate our business.

Carli if you've got a minute stop by my blog. I've asked a question on Friday's post that I'm really curious to how you would answer.

Thumper said...

What's the point of taking Fandango at all if you can't just take the print-out ticket to the kid who rips them in half and directs you to the wrong side of the multiplex? They need to just not take it at all if they're going to do it that way... eh?

Carli N. Wendell said...

At most theaters in the city that take Fandango, or at least the ones I frequent, you have to swipe your credit card at the machine to get actual tickets. This A) Saves you the time of waiting in line (seriously, I don't know why ANYONE waits in line at theaters with self-serve kiosks) and B) guarantees you a seat--a lot of theaters sell out. For me, buying the tickets ahead of time gives me less of a chance to back out and not go at all.
I don't have a problem using the kiosks, but if they're going to give a printable ticket, they sure as Hell better honor it.

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad I wasn't there.

Anonymous said...

I really have to second suzyq on this one.