. . . probably because this is Day #1 (again) of the "I don't want to die in my sleep" health plan and I actually didn't stuff myself with crap today. . . and also, I found yesterday really energizing and wonderful.
With more than 30% of the vote, the winner of this week's "What Should Carli Do" poll was "Visit the American Museum of Natural History." I still don't have pictures--I took a few before the batteries went kaput, but I'm still waiting for my mother to send me the cord thingy to attach it to my computer.
Without going into major detail, since the Superbowl is on (Go Eli!), I had a great time yesterday and spent 12 full hours out of my apartment! The American Museum of Natural History is a cavernous, wondrous place with so many exhibits, it would be impossible to see it all in one day. My favorite part? Easily the Hall of Primitive Mammals. Sure, you've seen (or at least heard of) dinosaurs. But have you ever heard of a Megaloceros--a prehistoric deer? (Do, a deer, a prehistoric deer. Sorry, couldn't resist.) I also saw some huge, gorgeous minerals, went to the Hall of Human Origins (basically a giant "FU" to creationism), saw the Planetarium show, the water exhibit, and more. (I paid for the Planetarium and special exhibit, but I get into the museum for free through work.) I definitely want to go back, and soon--although, with the very un-pc throwback displays of taxidermed wildlife, I have to wonder what the ratio of dead things to living things is in that place on any given day. Still, I love the fact that right smack in the middle of the city, I can see actual dinosaurs. And she's my favorite singing star, that Dinah Shore!
I left the museum and meandered my way through Central Park, stopping to stare at some sort of bird of prey (hawk?), visit the Dakota Building (where John Lennon was shot, and where Rosemary's Baby was filmed, among other things) and finally see the Strawberry Field tribute to Mr. Lennon. And I almost got run over by a horse. Despite the cold, it was a beautiful day.
I entered the Wicked lottery (they give out the first two rows of tickets via lottery two hours before the show) but didn't win. (Don't worry; I've seen it twice.)Since I was in Times Square already, I hit the movies and finally saw No Country For Old Men. And since I complained about them turning on ALL the lights in the theater full blast at a pivotal moment in the film, I got a free movie ticket!
A good day.
Voting will be open for next Saturday at my new Web site (URL to be provided) as soon as I choose five things I still want to do.
Go Giants.
Sunday, February 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow! good day indeed. You should have stopped by. I was babysitting my 9 month old baby Maya an dher dog Molly.
I have actually been looking for this post all day. 'bout durn time.
What new url!? Are you no longer First Lady of Dullsville?
hello ... i'm here via michele ... what a day indeed! I'd quite like to hear the run over by a horse story ... intriguing ... nice to meet you carli
Couldn't ask for much more than that out of a Saturday afternoon smack dab in the middle of Winter. Well done Carli. I truly enjoyed reading about your Saturday excursion.
Post a Comment