Friday, September 19, 2008

Toy Story

As many of you know, I have a certain affinity for toys. And one of my favorite days of the year is the day of the annual Toy Wishes Holiday Preview, where the trade magazine releases its "hot dozen," a list of 12 (hence the name "dozen") toys the editors believe will be the hottest sellers during the holiday season. And since they've started holding this event in early October, this year the Holiday Preview takes place on my birthday! Yay.

Last year, I attended the event and correctly predicted about half of the toys. In fact, although I was there as a journalist for another magazine, I babbled on about toys for so long that a representative from Reuters wanted to interview me as an expert. (I had to decline.)

So this year I've got some ideas as to which toys will be named to the Hot Dozen. In the simplest terms, and most convenient definitions (thanks, Breakfast Club!), here is a preliminary list of what I believe will be top sellers in the toy biz this season:

Elmo Live
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Rock Band 2
Batman action figures
Eyeclops Bionicam
Hannah Montana Malibu Beach Doll House

I'm just sayin'.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what it is, but I MUST have the Eyeclops Bionicam.

carmilevy said...

You've got a great sense of what plays well in the minds of kids. Mine have already reviewed your list and pronounced it "sweet". They've updated their Chanukah lists accordingly.

Anonymous said...

You forgot Guitar Hero: World Tour and the Nintendo Wii.

Carli N. Wendell said...

Guitar Hero: World Tour was always on this list.
And Wii would be categorized as a "still hot" toy because it didn't debut this year.
I wound up being pretty freaking wrong this year anyway, going about 2 for 12. . . there were a lot more toys for young children than I would have expected.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know the toys had to debut this year in order to get on the list. I'm completely out of touch with baby toys, so I can't help you there.