I'm thinking about canceling cable.
It's a money thing, yes, but mostly, I know that it's a huge distraction and time suck and it's a huge contributor to the brain atrophy that's been so acute this winter. I know I'm not strong enough to "Just Say No."
This is the kind of realization you have after spending an entire day plopped in front of a Golden Girls marathon.
I would still have the networks, and with the digital conversion, I wouldn't have to deal with fuzziness and lines and static. Hopefully I'm not too far gone that I'd just watch whatever's on those 5-6 channels. I mean, heroin addicts will use dirty needles. . .
Don't get me wrong; I'm absolutely not giving up TV. I would still watch the network shows I enjoy (though getting used to life without DVR might be painful--I'd have to figure out how to program the VCR again). Many shows are available for free on the Internet after their initial airing, which is (hopefully) how I'd watch Law and Order: CI when it finally comes back. I'd lose my beloved TCM, but thanks to HULU, the public library, PBS's Saturday night movie night, TCM.com's free feature films, etc., I would not want for movies. My media-loving co-worker L does not have cable, and she does just fine. (And look, she won all those empanadas!)
The Internet. . . that's another issue entirely. I'm trying to set some parameters.
So what do you think? Should I do it? CAN I do it? Will I do it? And will it change my life at all? Also, do androids dream of electric sheep? Why do birds sing so gay? Where's the beef? Who wrote the book of love? Can you hear me now? Can you hear me running? Can you hear me calling you?
Update: My boss has challenged me to go an entire month with NO TV at all. His terms do allow for 3 hours of Internet TV watching. He's dared me to give up TV before. He's also, in the past, offered me $100 to have my hair done in cornrows and $.50 to eat a packet of silica gel, but that's not the point. The point is I've never taken him up on his challenge. Maybe this time? It would mean giving up a M*A*S*H marathon. . .
Thursday, March 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You can do it. Nicorette can help.
O wow I could live without my DVR but it would be exceptionally painful, best of luck.
I wish you could just pay by the channel. I would get the major networks plus bravo, animal planet, and maybe vh1.
Don't do it. Just give up cable. And don't eat the silicone packet either. Whatever you do, don't get sucked iinto a MASH marathon!
I say go for the "no cable" thing. Good luck with that. I tried to call and cancel all the movie channels I have except HBO, but somehow they threw all these numbers around and confused me and in the end I ended up staying with what I have. I'm a wuss.
T-mo.
Post a Comment