Friday, July 24, 2009

(Fewer than 500) Days of Summer

I'm trying to plan the rest of my summer. I'm Maid of Honor in a wedding, and that's eating up a lot of my weekend time right now. But after August 9, I'm free. Like, Kevin Bacon dancing in a grain mill swinging from the rafters free. (Yes, I'm aware that the song "I'm Free" comes at a different part in the movie. Leave me alone.)

A few of my plans for the waning days of summer:
August 15: I haven't been to Coney Island since I was a kid. I'm going to spend the day exploring, followed by a showing of Carrie at the Coney Island museum. I'm going to eat a gooey red candy apple during the pig blood scene. It just feels right.

Other things I want to do:
Finally check out the Highline
See Avenue Q. before it closes (never got around to it before)
See Next to Normal as part of my "See it once a month on rush tickets until you can't take it anymore but I swear I'm not obsessed with it even though I decided Alice Ripleys performance has taken away the 'best performance I've ever seen' spot away from 1998 Betty Buckley in Gypsy" plan. OK, maybe it's a tie. And BB gets bonus points for being in Carrie the movie and Carrie: The Musical. And soon, Carrie The Musical II: Turn off the Dark.
Get in another "Hike to Union City for Bowling and Salvatian Army t-shirt Buying" day
Rutgers opening day as long as my b-i-l can get me a ticket
Get to Van Cortlandt Park, either with the group I've been walking with, or on my own, pretending the Northern Manhattan Outdoors Club is beside me.
Twelve-mile Greenway walk with same outdoors club.
Read more
Eat me a lot of peaches without moving to the country
Maybe try for SRO seats at Hair.
See a few movies: I'm interested in The Hurt Locker and everyone keeps saying how great The Hangover is.

Perhaps get in a kayak. But only if it's not in the water.

Any other ideas?

2 comments:

invisible said...

bridesmaid. Where the bride finds the fugliest dresses she can, to make herself look better by comparison.
Sea-foam green with Fuscia stripes anyone?

Anonymous said...

possibly help parental units with new house? especially after July 17th!